Friday, April 10, 2020

Healthy Weight Loss


Many of us have weight loss goals, as well as we want to live a happier and healthier lifestyle. Now, in order to do that we have to adjust our lifestyle to ensure that whatever goals we strive to meet, we do it successfully. Please understand that working out 2 - 3 times a week, combined with proper eating habits will assist you in your weight loss goals. Fitness is my passion and my first love, and I've been in this field for over twenty years, and I have watched this field evolve and grow over time. I myself have grown along with many of my cohorts.

What we need to understand is not everyone, and all body types need to follow the same meal plan; as we are all built differently and physiologically it doesn't work that way. I am a lover of all foods, and I am also a lover of working out, but what I can say is what works for me may NOT work for the next person. It is important to understand your body type, so you know how to formulate your plan on losing weight and/or gaining muscle. The three body types are: Ectomorph, Endomorph and Mesomorph.

    1. Ectomorph: Lean and long, with difficulty building muscle.
    2. Endomorph: Big, high body fat, often pear-shaped, with a high tendency to store body fat.
    3. Mesomorph: Muscular and well-built, with a high metabolism and responsive muscle cells.

My body type category is Endomorph and that requires me to focus more on Cardio (HIIT) Workouts, Weight Training and watching my caloric intake. As I know my body, I understand that a safe healthy weight loss is 1 - 2 pounds per week. I know, your going to say that doesn't seem like enough to fulfill my goals. Well I have news for you, IT IS!! When you focus on trying to get the weight off fast, instead of focusing on healthier choices that don't focus on water weight there is no added benefit for losing the weight quickly. Water is KEY! Then its all about portion sizes, how you prepare your food and what you are consuming and when you're eating. You must also remember that you lose inches first then you gain muscle and finally you lean out.

I recently trained some young ladies, and our training included working out twice a week, and a meal plan was provided weekly. This provided them the understanding of choices and living healthier to be better athletes, and they had not only the full support of their parents, but also their coaching staff. I am proud to say that many of my girls lost inches, and gained muscle; but the ultimate outcome was for them to understand how to eat to live. They understood that this new way of life is a work in progress, and they had more energy, endurance and agility. The weight loss will come, because you have to remember that the weight did not come overnight, so be patient and stop looking for the quick fix.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Mental Health:Learn to talk about it

May is Mental Health Awareness month, and I want to be as transparent as possible and speak from the heart. Many times when we a...